Thursday, 29 March 2012

A Media Student's Dilemma

When someone asks you what course you are studying at University, you should feel proud, academic and focused (to say the least). As a Media Student though, I (as well as others on my course) have gotten used to the nervous shuffle, a sudden fascination with the floor, and a smile that says "I'll give you a call when my housekeeper dies-I might have something."

In such hauntingly awkward moments, I have found myself almost giving excuses-why I chose this course, what I am going to do with it, where I see myself in 10 years time...... Yet it seems that those ignorant of the power of the media should perhaps excuse themselves.

OK, so Media Studies has only recently gained "Subject" status on the University radars, and perhaps this is why its reception is controversial. English Studies, in contrast, is now deemed to be an arguably prestigious degree. I find it interesting to compare the two subjects as a Combined Honors Student of both. Fair enough, it doesn't lead into a direct job, but like Maths or Physics every student needs to do something extra to get a career related to their area of study. English was only offered as a subject in 1828-relatively modern in comparison to original subjects at University level like Classics and (again) Mathematics. It was perceived by some to be a peculiar subject, yet it is now taught globally and in some of the best universities in the world.

Historically, (as some seem to think the media is simply trashy tabloids and fake headlines) media texts offer a contextual insight into to the epoch in which it was created. As well as being culturally interesting in this way, it helps to shape ideas for the present-what ideas do you recognise from this photograph? Why do you hold such opinions or feelings over this image? Do you care?


The accelerating pace of global markets, technological advancements and social media, are paramount to breaking communication boundaries, KONY2012 being a recent example of the success of social media in creating change. The environment we live in is that of persuasion, money,and corruption. Why would you not want to change and develop such a landscsape-the media is a tool for such change.  It is ignorant to assume that there is no room for its influence-its power has seen the abdication of an American President, murderers brought to justice, and the rights of a people broadcasted around the world. In terms of careers, the subject combines the Psychology of audiences for Systematic planning, Design and Art for Advertising, Languages for Communications and Marketing....the list goes on.

I'll admit, there are flaws with Media ethics today-the Leveson inquiry is an explicit example of journalism gone wrong (so to speak). But don't dismiss this subject. It's influence surrounds you daily, it's messages decoded every second. In the future, Media Studies will be taken seriously, it's just a matter of time. How many more reasons do you need?


1 comment: